Two weeks into January and my mood is all over the place. Quite simply, I’m struggling.The 28 degree weather is killing my motivation and I’m trying really hard to find my happy place. So, in light of the winter blahs, I thought I would make a list of things that can add a little giggle, or ray of sunshine to our day. And just wondering, but does this affect you readers who live in warmer climates, or just us folk who are in the frozen tundra they call the Northeast? Whatever the case may be we can all use a little pick me up sometime. Let’s go!
1. Make a Tropical Dinner- Island food exudes local color and freshness. What better than a vibrant dinner to lift the spirits. Don’t for get a reggae soundtrack! Recreate a a menu of tropical proportions. Here are a few recipes to get you started: Jamaican Brown Fish Stew, Macadamia-Crusted Sea Bass with Mango Cream Sauce, Rice and Peas, Pina Colada Custard Pie.
2. Paint Something- Finding time to make art (that’s not of the finger paint variety) is next to impossible. This weekend when you have some free time, drop everything. Let the dishes go un-washed, leave the toys where they are. Take out some art supplies. My favorites are water colors. Find an image, maybe one of your baby, and paint it. Then as soon as that sucker is dry, hang it up. You will feel so proud each time you walk by your new work of art. Hey, and if you’re not a painter make a crazy collage or graphic image on the computer. But bottom line is DO IT!
3. Be Girlie!- When everyone is in bed, pretend like you live alone. First get in some crazy comfy jammies. Next stack up your un-read mags on your bed and grab the lap top. Tell your BD to leave you alone. Do beauty treatments, paint your nails, put on your favorite romantic comedy i.e When Harry Met Sally or Pretty In Pink. Call up girlfriends and talk on the phone. Eat cookies out of the box and drink wine in bed.
4. Get a Pet (a little one)- The cuter the better. And if you have a child over the age of 2, seeing them exited about your new pet will make it like happy squared. Good easy to maintain pets include goldfish, frogs, hamster, chinchilla or a small bird.
5. Splurge on a Fancy Scented Candle-I know, I know it sounds silly but whenever I drop 30 bucks on a crazy scented candle it’s always worth it. Write it off as aromatherapy.
6. Paint Your Nails Neon- The winter is dreary and we need all the help we can get. Something as simple as brightening up your color palate can do wonders.
7. Email an Old Friend- You know that friend you haven’t spoken to in years. There’s really no reason you don’t talk any more other than you live in different cities and have just gone your own ways. Maybe she, or he, was your bestie in high school or college. Reach out and give her an update on your life and find out what she’s up to. You don’t need to make plans or say why you haven’t kept in touch. Just say hi and tell her some news. It’s like a happy two for one!
8. Check Out Buddhism- I’m not religious at all. I guess I would be considered an atheist. But whenever I encounter Buddhism I think, now this is a religion I could get down with. I recently bought this beautiful little book called True Love: A Practice for Awakening the Heart and each time I pick it up and read, I find it totally enlightening. It makes me want to delve deeper into Buddhism. I love the idea of incorporating mantras and mindfulness into my life. I think these monks are on to something.
9. Inspirational People- Spend an hour on Wikipedia reading about the people who inspire you. It’s quicker than reading a biography, maybe not as informative but who cares, cut the bullshit and get the short version. Here are a few people that float my boat: Woody Allen, Debbie Harry, Jenny Holzer, Takashi Murakami, Robin Quivers, Judd Apatow and Francesca Lia Block.
10. Write a Love Letter- Love breeds happiness. Make Valentines come early for that special someone. Do it the old fashioned way, get some stationary, pour your heart out in perfect penmanship and mail that baby off. Just knowing that the note will arrive in your beloveds mailbox in 2-3 days will set your own heart -a- flutter.
Well I hope this list inspired a ray of hope on a cold snowy afternoon. Just coming up with the ideas got my blood flowing. And if this stuff doesn’t work I’m glad to know that I’ve got two tickets booked to St. Lucia for next week. Woot!
Category:On The Verge | Tags: