And now back to our regularly scheduled programing! Ahhhh that was a nice little blogger break. I highly recommend it if you’re feeling blogger burn out or just want to drop out and live life blog free for a bit. It felt fucking great! So, now that I’ve had a little respite I thought I’d give you one massive update on what we’ve been up to.
1. Life. The road of life can be super smooth like a freshly paved highway, or totally bumpy, full of pot holes and riddled with crap like road kill and torn off bumpers. I’ve felt like over the last few years I’ve hit a few traffic jams—maybe even got a flat tire. But the last few months, well, those have been equivalent to the road that you take when you’re going hiking in Yosemite or somewhere—the scenery is really,really beautiful but the road is a disaster and super scary because you’re driving on the side of a cliff. Now, today, well let’s just say that I got out of the car, wiped the beads of sweat off my brow and I’m ready to go on an amazing hike in one of the most beautiful places on earth. I’m pretty confident that I’ve found a new path and a new mode of transportation. I’ll just have to be sure to use my compass and a few other helpful tools and not get lost again.
2. Backyard Upgrade. When we moved into our new house last Fall we focused our energy on decorating and sprucing up the inside of the house. I still have to give you guys the tour! But now since spring has sprung we’ve spent the last few weekends tackling the backyard. And let me be clear, I use the term “backyard” loosely. Between our house and the garage is a 30ft x30ft tarmac with chain link fences between ours and the neighbors properties. The upstairs apartment deck hangs over about half of the space giving the non-covered space a few hours of sunlight in the afternoon. By New York standards this is the equivalent of approximately 10 acres of manicured land with trees and wildflowers. We’ve been spending our spare time into turning our outdoor space into a little plot of paradise. So far we’ve put up tiki fencing, got a table, loads of faux plants for the spaces with lack of sunlight, purchased a BBQ, potted plants and hung a beautiful string of bulbs.
3. TV Obsession: Parenthood. I’ve become so sickly addicted to this show that I’m actually watching it right now as I write this. It took me about 2 weeks of 2-3 episodes a day to complete the first 2 seasons and I just downloaded all 19 glorious episodes of Season 3. This show is so unbelievably fantastic that when I’m finished with the third season I’ll loop back and spend another month re-watching the whole thing and fantasize about what it would be like to be a Braverman.
4. Puppy Training. Training Zeus is going surprisingly well. In comparison to training children the puppy is a cinch. The modern miracle of wee wee pads have changed the puppy training game—they didn’t exist when trained my first dog. Don’t get me wrong though, I think casually allowing the dog to “go” in the house is really hideous, but they are great durring the training phase. And because of our”backyard” we’ve been able to see the signs of him needing to go and make it outdoors 75% of the time. I’d say in another month or so he’ll be house trained. We’re also using a crate. And besides all the housetraining, Zeus is exhibiting signs of being an awesome family pet loved by all.
5. Education. I thought about going back to school for a while. I think a lot of SAHM’s do. Once you’ve been out of the workforce for a while it always sounds like a good idea to go back to school and start from scratch. But for now I’ve put that idea on the back burner and opted for some local classes to get my creative juices flowing. Currently I’m taking ceramics at a little pottery studio called Choplet and a stop motion animation class at 3rd Ward. I’m registered for watercolor class in May and I’m seeking out all kinds of new and interesting things to try out. Taking these classes is really fulfilling and super inspiring.
*We use my lab partners clay figure for our subject. I did not create that little guy. So cute though right?!
6. Currently Reading. I’ve been doing a ton of reading and my latest read is How to Piss in Public by Gavin McInnes. Gavin is the Grand Puba of hipsters, co-founder of Vice and co-creator of Street Carnage. The book is wickedly fun, brutally honest and totally entertaining. I also recently read Guts by Kristen Jonston, the actress who played Sally on 3rd Rock From the Sun. Guts is the story of her addiction to painkillers and her recovery after a near death experience due to her addiction. This book was absolutely hilarious and sincere and I read it 2 days. I’ve also been skimming a few self-help books such as The Mothers of Reinvention, The 5 Love Languages and 100 Ways to Motivate Yourself.
7. We went to Atlantis for Spring Break! It was Awesome!
Category:Me, Me, Me | Tags: